Wednesday 30 September 2009

Watchmen


This film has made an impact on me, in more ways than one. At first I came away not getting it at all, it was a spectacle of remarkable CGI and production which I appreciated, but I didn't get anything from the story. On the second viewing, it all seemed to click into place, now I see that its not just a superhero action movie.. ! Zak Snyder (another of my favourite directors) is known for his adaptations of graphic novels into film, having successfully reworked Sin City and 300. Again, his artistic approach is heavily stylised in his use of conceptual art direction including colour, slow motion action shots and lighting. In Watchmen he depicts a clever and consequential scenario which is particularly relevant in modern society, whilst remaining true to the original Marvel/DC graphic novel. Many parallels can be drawn from this story; the political climate when the graphic novel was written can mirror today's global situation and question the presence of government and its effects on humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment